Friday 2 December 2011

M-m-m-marry the night!

I absolutely cannot resist posting this. As you are probably aware, one of my icons is the incredible Lady Gaga, and if you are even half as much of a fan as I am, you will probably be aware of these two things..

First off, on a quick lunchtime trip to the shop my eye was caught by one thing - this month's issue of Elle, featuring a striking photo of the lady herself. Typically excited by these new images I grabbed my copy quickly and lost myself in the interview.

I literally love these photos of Stefani. As the reporter said in the interview, you don't see how beautiful she is when she is crawling out of a wrecked subway car, dripping blood, onstage. It is not until you strip back the theatrics a little that you can see how stunning she is - like here, the pastel colour palette really lets her shine. Of course, she isn't dressed totally pared-down. All of these dresses take more bravery than I have to wear, and she does wear some heel-less heels, so it isn't a total departure from the crazy, over-the-top Gaga we know and love.. There is still incredibly sheer fabric, gorgeous lace eye masks and an amazingly directional haircut - it just feels a little more simplified. 

I think it is the pastels that do it, they are so light and bright that she simply glows, and the shots all have a very clean, soft feel. They also make me ache for springtime, which is not good when we are heading into winter! Pastels always turn up on spring catwalks because they are so fresh and clean, which is why it feels so refreshing and fun to work them in December - also very fitting for the January issue. As well as the fashion, I love the strong, striking poses and expressions in all of the pictures (ex-photography student here, sorry), and it is the kind of shoot I would love to recreate. And then you get to the interview. Full of typically Germanotta revelations, like orgasms are good for your skin, this interview is a must read for any Little Monsters out there. I myself am a proud Little Monster, and am loving my fix of Mother Monster! Go get it!

The Gaga bonanza doesn't stop there though, upon arriving home and getting logged in to all my usual haunts (Blogger, Facebook, Twitter) I saw a link that again stopped me in my tracks... The Lady has released her video for Marry The Night! This was my favourite song from Born This Way, and the lyrics really resonate with me, so I have been waiting with baited breath to see how she would present it ever since it was announced as the next single...

This really is a crazy video, and I am not 100% sure that I understand all of the elements, but I love them. Every scene has been crafted perfectly. I especially like what Gaga called the Prelude Pathetique, which has been on Youtube for a while, and enjoyed the dance class part of the video. It is ridiculously long, but while watching it I was never bored, not even for a moment. Her outfits are typically creative, insane and beautiful all in one - even if she spends a lot of time naked. Or naked apart from gorgeous shoes. I love her efforts with the bedazzler and old denim, and her hair with that outfit was simply amazing. My favourite element of the video however was the element of truth. Of course, a video like this is the product of fantasy, surrealism to the extreme in the impracticality it presents, but the story being portrayed was that of her being dropped by her record label and the way she rose up from that. Not every scene is classically beautiful, there are moments that are dark and haunting. 

"I'm going to be a star. You know why? Because I have nothing left to lose."

Those were my favourite words of the narration. It promotes such a good attitude, that when you have nothing left you should stick to your dreams and come out fighting - don't let life get you down. Oh, I've gotten carried away with my love for this now. But anyway, watch it. It is artistically incredible.

I think you can all see how much I adore Stefani Germanotta, aka Lady Gaga. She is an artist in everything she does. And of course, this Gaga-packed day was beautiful for me. I am currently re-watching Marry The Night, and re-reading the Elle interview. Whilst dreaming of the day I am that brave. Love and kisses, Tara xox

No comments:

Post a Comment