Thursday 22 December 2011

Star Style Obsession - Audrey Hepburn

As you may have noticed, recently my complete adoration for the icons of the golden age of Hollywood has been brought to the surface in a way like never before, and while I do love Marilyn, Elizabeth and Vivien, I will always have a soft spot for Audrey Hepburn. Her most iconic look is also one of fashion's most iconic, the go-to style for celebrities worldwide - that's right, the Little Black Dress. Most notable in Breakfast at Tiffany's, her most famous film role, and the one that cemented her as a fashion icon, the LBD is a wardrobe staple for anyone with style and is a classic, timeless look, copied innumerable times. At this moment in time, however, I am ashamed to say that I have never actually seen Breakfast at Tiffany's, although the book is one of my favourites, and every time I read it I picture Audrey as Holly. The film is also on my Christmas list, so I am praying that I find it wrapped up on Christmas morning and can then lose myself in it as soon as possible.. For now, I am just going to share some of my favourite Audrey looks..


There was simply no other look I could begin with than the aforementioned style genius of the Breakfast at Tiffany's LBD. This really is a flawless iconic look, from the simple, well-cut dress and matching long gloves to the decadent jewellery that totally revs it up - if I can emulate this, I will.

This is literally just too cute. I think it's that little smile.. But anyway, I love this look because it is again so classic. Besides, lace, a cinched waist and a full skirt always looks good! And Audrey has accesssorized it perfectly with that award...

A slightly edgier style seen on Audrey here, while she has returned to all black, the dress is gone and it is the sleek silhouette of a simple long sleeved top and capris that make up this totally chic ensemble. She is well-known for popularizing capris, and when she looks this effortlessly stylish, who can blame her? I also love the very chic ballet pumps, which have been very du jour recently. See, we keep returning to Audrey's classic style..

Again working some chic trousers, this all white outfit is again full of clean lines and simplicity, but the shapes are slightly more complex. I love the accessories here, the obi belt and simple ballet pumps really set the white top and trousers off.

Working a subtle bit of boy-meets-girl styling here and still looking gorgeous, Audrey is rocking one of my favourite style staples - the white shirt. With her signature cinched in waist she still manages to look beautifully feminine, and that cheeky little scarf around her neck in place of a tie is a lovely quirky detail.

I will admit that here we are leaving the realms of style analysis and just entering a world entitled 'Audrey Hepburn is beautiful'. Which she is. And this picture is too gorgeous not to post on a Hepburn-appreciation blog entry. On a slightly fashion-y note I do love the faultless simplicity and careful accessorizing.. but really my favourite thing about this picture is the beautiful pink-ness.

Isn't she stunning? This floral dress is simply amazing, and florals never go out of style. Another thing that always looks good is a simple, chic updo which Audrey has clearly nailed. Oh, and I am getting the urge to go out and get my hands on some good gloves..

Another photo, another beautiful dress accessorized with more chic gloves. One thing we can definitely learn from Audrey is not to underestimate the power of a good, statement-making dress, and not to clutter it up with unnecessary accessories.

This look is one that I think would still work today, with a slightly modern twist. I adore the dress and wouldn't change a thing about it, but to pull this into the 21st century I would replace the gloves with some stackable rings and up the heel height.. that said, I love this ensemble on Audrey.

How ridiculously cute is this? Again, her simplistic approach to styling is showing through, letting the dress do the talking. While some might say that this look needs a bit of jewellery, I think that it only enhances her natural beauty. And don't even get me started on the dog.

There is a running theme through most of Audrey's looks - a simplicity that never lets her ensembles be too cluttered up, leaving the focus more on her than anything else. She definitely wears the clothes, rather than letting the clothes wear her. All of these ensembles would only require a small style-up to be totally du jour and relevant right now, because they are so classic that fashion keeps referencing them. So many of the pieces she wears have become wardrobe staples, such as capri pants, ballet pumps, and of course the LBD - so there is simply no question that Hepburn is a complete style icon. And not just a style icon, but possibly my favourite icon from the golden age of Hollywood, which is saying something when you consider her competition..

I absolutely love her style, and wish I could emulate her looks. In fact, I might try to get a few Audrey references into my current style, so watch this space.. For now, however, while I am holed up at home anticipating Christmas I am just going to ponder how to do that, and pray for Breakfast at Tiffany's to be waiting for me on Christmas Day. Love and kisses, Tara xox

No comments:

Post a Comment